Saturday, July 18, 2009

Saturday Savings - The Farmer's Market

When this weekend rolled around and I noticed my cupboards, freezer and fridge were still bursting with food I decided I didn't really need to do much shopping. I did snag some nice deals at Target Thursday night - 20 oz of boneless, skinless chicken breast, 1 pound of 93% lean ground beef, Finish Dishwasher packs, Shout spray and a bonus size of Pop Tarts all for $6 (including tax)!

Yesterday I stopped in at Price Chopper to pick up eggs (.69 a dozen), tooth paste, a tooth brush, a jumbo bottle of Excedrin and some crayons. Yep, I bought crayons while grocery shopping! Price Chopper had 24 packs of Crayola Crayons on sale for .20 a piece, so I snagged 5 boxes, 3 of which will be set aside for the boys' Christmas stockings. Later on today we'll stop by Aldi and pick up a couple of gallons of milk, which will bring us to about $20 spent on groceries this week.

With the weather being so gorgeous and my garden still not producing much (I have lots of plants but nothing to harvest from them yet except for lettuce!), I decided we should head to the Farmer's Market and stock up on some yummy fresh produce. Here's what we bought!


1 pound on cherry tomatoes
6 ears of corn
6 apples
5 peaches
3 large zucchinis

All of that ran us $13. That may be a bit more than if I'd just bought from the grocery stores or Aldi, but I know the quality is often better from the Farmer's Market, many of the stands offer only organic produce and this way we're supporting local families directly.

When's the last time you checked out your local farmer's market? You might be surprised at what you'll find!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts with Thumbnails