Saturday, March 14, 2009

Saturday Savings

My shopping happened in shifts yesterday, which is why there are two pictures. The items in picture number 1 were picked up last night (some as late as 11pm!) and the items in picture number 2 were picked up in the late afternoon.

Total spent for all items bought yesterday: $71.76

I spent a tad more (ok, about $20 more) than I had hoped to this week, but as you'll see I did some actual stocking up on a few things.

Here's what I bought:

Peanut butter - 2 jars
Milk - 2 whole, 1 skim
Quick cooking oats (used primarily for cooking)
Chocolate chips
Brown Sugar
Flour
Gala Apples - 6 pounds
Bananas - 3 pounds
Strawberries - 2 pounds
White Onions - 1.8 pounds
Bread - 4 loaves (2 "fancy" breads and 2 Wonder Bread White)
Arm & Hammer Laundry Detergent - 2 bottles
Cereal - 3 boxes
M&Ms - 2 bags (I needed these for a cookie recipe)
Deli Ham - 2 pounds
Apple Juice - 4 bottles
Progresso soups - 3 cans
Potatoes - 5 pounds
Green Grapes - 3.75 pounds
Hormel Pork Loin - 2
Batteries - 2 packages of 4

The Deals: As I said in my opening, I did some actual stocking up yesterday, which drove my total a bit higher than I would have liked. Apple Juice was on sale for .99 a bottle with a limit of 4 per customer, so I snagged 4 of course. Rarely do I get to buy "fancy" breads as they are just too expensive, but yesterday I snagged 2 loaves of Nature's Pride Bread for only $1.37 each (normally $3.29 each). How? They were BOGO at Hyvee and I had a coupon for .55 off one! Even the Wonder Bread was a good deal at .99 each - again there was a limit (2), so I bought to the limit. I just bought laundry detergent last week, but when I saw I could buy a bottle of Arm & Hammer laundry detergent for only $1.99 I snagged some (limit 2, so I bought 2). Another notable deal came at Aldi. I bought 6 pounds of Gala Apples for only $3.38 - that's .56 a pound! The last really notable deal is the Hormel Pork Loin. These are the 1.7 pound flavored pork loins. Normally these sell for $9.99 each. Hyvee was running a BOGO deal on them AND I had a $1 off one coupon, so I got both of them for $4.50 a piece ($9 total).

Even though I spent more than I hoped for, I'm thrilled with my purchases yesterday. We're stocked up in several areas where I feel we go through stuff quickly, and my baking supplies have been replenished, which is important also in keeping my grocery budget low.

Total before sales, coupons and tax: $133.34
Total after sales and coupons: $67.65

1 comments:

Momma-of-5 said...

Way to go, Helen.
Shane "recycled" my flyers from last week! BEFORE I GOT TO THEM. I went through this week's and I really struggled. I didn't want clip EVERYTHING because I know we won't use some of it. Anyway, I think it's going to take me awhile to change my mindset from "we use ____" to "we COULD USE ____".

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts with Thumbnails