Wednesday, April 4, 2007

It's Triplets?

Originally posted 4.4.07 (12 weeks pregnant)

I think the whole triplet thing is sinking in now. I'd say I'm 95% excited and only 5% scared - for now.

Last Friday (3/30) Nick and I went for my first ultrasound. Almost immediately the tech said "do twins run in your family?" To which we said "no!" She said "well, they do now!". We were totally in shock! Nick was laughing, I was crying (out of joy) and all was well. Then the tech said "hmmmm". I said "there are only two, right?!" Then she told us it looked like 3 and sure enough, there they all were, hearts beating away. Now Nick was really laughing and I was really crying!

The tech did tell us that the membranes dividing the sacs looks really thin, which often will indicate identical (but she admitted it was a little early to tell for sure). She also mentioned that one of the little babies looked to possibly be male and if they're all identical well then.... Again though, it's technically too early to tell for sure, so I'm taking that with a grain of salt. Nick says he's putting his money on 3 boys.

People have asked us if multiples run in the family or if we were on fertility drugs, to which we answer no. This is truly a miracle!

Today I was transferred to a perinatalist instead of going through the rest of the pregnancy with my original doctor. I will also now deliver at a different hospital from my first choice, simply because this new hospital has a level 3 NICU. Even though my due date is in mid-October it's quite likely that I will actually have these babies in September sometime.... from what I've read, heard and been told most women only carry triplets as far as 33-36 weeks or so.

My next appointment is April 19th, so I'll update after that!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts with Thumbnails