We have serious bed time issues here and we are just at a loss as to what to do. If you've had toddler bed time issues, I need your help! Here's a brief run down of the issues and what we've tried....
- Bed time is at 7:30pm - most nights the boys don't actually fall asleep though until 9:30 or later. That's two hours of messing around!
- The boys do still nap most days, but even on the days they don't nap they still mess around for a couple of hours.
- They're waking up at 6 or 6:30 in the morning and often have crabby tendencies as a result.
What We've Tried
- Super Nanny technique of just putting them back in their beds without talking. The boys thought that was hilarious.
- Locking them in their room (we've reversed the door knob) and ignoring them. Works great until we hear crying and fighting.
- Sitting the offender in an extra long Time Out (5-10 minutes depending on how many times they've been in TO that night already) in an attempt to let all the kids calm down completely.
- Moving the offender to a different room to fall asleep and then move them back to their room after they're asleep. Problem here is those door knobs aren't reversed, so Nick and I will often end up in the hall holding the door shut until they just give up and lay down.
- Giving them 10 minutes to just lie in their beds and talk before telling them it's time to be quiet.
- Sitting on the floor in their room for 10-15 minutes until they're calm and quiet (then about 5 minutes later they're wild again).
Any other ideas? By 7:30pm my patience with the boys is done. Another 2 hours of shenanigans sends my stress level through the roof! Nick and I often alternate dealing with them, but boy would it be nice to just sit on the couch and talk or watch a movie without having to pause it every 3 minutes.