Monday, December 29, 2008

Semi-Lock Down

It's that wonderful time of year again.... Cold, Flu and RSV season. Yipee! Last year we were under strict orders to keep the boys home with the exception of doctor's appointments. Due to their prematurity (and yet not preemie enough to qualify for the RSV Synagis shots) they would have had a really rough time recovering from RSV and likely would have ended up in the hospital.

This year is slightly different in that the boys are quite a bit bigger and are very healthy, so would have an easier time fighting off RSV should they contract it. That doesn't mean it would be as easy for them as it would be for a full-term toddler, but it wouldn't likely be as devastating. Taking this into consideration we aren't going under full lock down like last winter, but we are taking some precautions.

For the bulk of cold and flu season we will not be bringing the boys to church. Two weeks of being home with sick kiddos was enough for me this month. No more plastic food sharing for my boys (that's what happened last time they were in the nursery)! We also ask that anyone that comes over is healthy - that's a no brainer though really.

Thankfully for the sanity of this mommy, I have been told it will be ok to take the boys to the store or the mall as long as I keep them away from excessive germs (so no playing on giant plastic fruit at the mall). I'm so glad I have the option this winter to load the boys up in the Choo Choo at Target or the mall. I think it will do wonders for my attitude!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Ugh, it's so unfair that some kids 'qualify' to get a vaccine that would save them from a potentially serious illness and others aren't 'sick enough' or 'little enough' or whatever. My daughter was low birthweight and 4 weeks premature, but for whatever reason, didn't get the vaccine. Yep, ended up up with RSV. And now has asthma. I don't know if they're related, but the asthma seemed to come on as the RSV was supposedly getting better.

My son was in the NICU for 2 weeks with abdominal surgery, but he 'wasn't sick enough, and was too big' for the shot. Made me mad.

Anyway, I'm hoping for a healthy winter, as healthy as it can be with a kid in elementary school!

Brenda B. said...

Yay for getting out at least a little bit this winter :)

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts with Thumbnails